Scheduling Canvas Activities
Now that you have created your Canvas activities let’s schedule them!
- Activity Area - Once you have saved an activity it will appear in the activity area on the left hand side of the screen.
- Activity Editor - To edit an activity, click on the arrow to reveal the drop down menu. From this menu you can return to the activity builder, copy this activity to this project or another project, or delete the activity. However, once an activity has responses you can no longer edit or delete.
- Calendar - When you are ready to schedule an activity, simply drag and drop it onto the day you’d like the activity to launch. Once placed, you’ll set the launch time and who you want it launched to (person, segment, activity chain).
Creating Activity Chains
Activity chains are used when you want to require participants to complete activities in a specific order.
- New Chain - Click here to create a new activity chain
- Chain Editor:
- Name - Name your chain. This will not be seen by participants
- Random Activity - Checking this box makes the activities inside of the chain rotate for each participant in order to eliminate order bias.
- Assign - Select the segments to which it will be applied.
Once created, you attribute scheduled activities to the chain using the activity editor.
- Schedule Editor // Access the editor by clicking on the activity once it's been placed on the calendar.
- Assign This Activity To // Inside the editor, attribute the activity to the chain using the "Assign this activity to" drop down menu.
- Agenda // Once you've assigned your activities to the chain you can click "agenda" to see the schedule for your chain. For a randomized chain it allows you to see the order in which each participant will see the activities.
NOTE OF CAUTION
Launch Time - The system knows when to launch activity chains based on the time they are set to launch NOT based on the order they appear in the scheduler. To ensure your activities launch in your preferred order, time them incrementally. For example, if you had three activities launching on one day in a chain you would launch activity 1 at 8:00 am, activity 2 at 8:01 am, and activity 3 at 8:02 am.
Timing of Randomized Chains
While randomized chains will work for activities programmed across days, they can only randomize the activities that are available on any given day. So if you only have a single activity on a given day, there will be nothing for the system to randomize. As a result, make sure to have at least two activities per day when making a randomized chain.