Creating a New Activity
To create a new activity, first navigate to the “Activities & Scheduling” menu by clicking “Activities & Scheduling” under “PROJECT SETUP”.
Then click the “New Activity” button and select “Activity” from the drop-down.
Building the Activity
Next, use the activity builder to build your activity and configure its settings. The activity builder contains the following tools and features:
1. Name: Give your activity a name (this will be seen by participants).
2. Type: Indicates whether this is a mobile or non-mobile activity. Mobile activities can be accessed via the mobile app or on the web.
3. Kind: Designate whether this activity will be answered only once (one time activity) or multiple times (recurring activity)
4. Sharing: You have the ability to choose to make an activity, Private, Influenced, or Uninfluenced. If you are unsure what each of these do click the link, click here.
5. Overdue Notice: The period after which you’d like an activity to appear overdue in a participants To-Do list.
6. Stimuli: The types of information you can share with participants that includes instructional text, videos, photos, audio, a website, file, or survey link.
Note: Any special characters included within titles of stimuli videos are automatically replaced with an underscore (“_”) prior to upload.
7. Collectors: The information you can ask from participants. These include: paragraph text, single line text, name, website, date, address, request photo, request file, request video, single choice, multiple choice, drop-down*, money, time and number.
Note: After 200+ options are added to drop-down collectors in a single activity, noticeable lag in the editing view can occur. This lag will not happen in the participant view of the activity. However, we suggest using a single line text collector to avoid editing view lag if the activity calls for 200+ options total for all drop down collectors in said activity.
8. Drag & Drop: To begin building your activity, drag and drop the first element over into the building area.
If desired, you can click the “Preview” button to view the activity as it will look to participants.
Once you are satisfied with your activity, click either the "Save" or “Save & Close” button. Clicking “Save” will save your current edits and keep the activity builder open. Clicking "Save & Close" will save your work and exit to the activity scheduler.
You can reorganize your activity elements by dragging and dropping them within the activity. Once you’ve dragged and dropped the first item, you can drag and drop subsequent stimuli and collectors before or after existing items. You can also move the position of a stimuli or collector by simply dragging and dropping them to the new position. When you have more than a few items you may want to use the arrow beside the title of items to collapse the content before moving things around.
Switching Between Languages
When working in projects with multiple languages, use the language selector to select the current language you are programming your activity in. To switch between languages all you need to do is return to the selector. Available languages are determined by the languages you currently have assigned to segments in your project. Make sure to click “save” before moving to a new language if you make changes.
NOTES OF CAUTION
- Microsoft Word: Please note that you need to strip formatting from content copied from Microsoft Word. You can do this by either pasting it into a program like TextEdit or by using our “strip formatting” function in the text editor.
- Mobile Collectors: For mobile activities, there is a 150 character limit for answer options to single choice and multiple choice collectors.
Once added, activities can be previewed, edited, and copied at any time from the Activities & Scheduling menu. To perform an action for an existing activity, click the caret on the activity tile and select an option from the drop-down:
- Preview: View the activity as it will look to participants.
- Edit: Open the activity within the activity builder.
- Copy: Create a duplicate activity, with the same elements and settings. You must enter a new name and select a target project for the duplicate activity.
- Delete: Delete the activity. Deleting an activity removes it from the project.
Note: When copying an activity in a project with multiple languages, a separate name field appears for each language.