You can create Custom Profile Fields in Revelation to allow for more flexibility during data analysis.
There are two ways to add custom profile fields to your project. We recommend the first option as it is much simpler. In your .csv format participant list, simply add a column for each profile you wish to add. Be sure to name your columns with easily identifiable names such as “HHI” or “User type”. When you upload your list, you will create your new columns.
- Go to the “Participant Page” and choose to upload your participants as a .csv file.
- The CSV wizard will identify new columns and give you the option to "create a new column", “merge with existing”, or "ignore."
- Once you select "create a new column" you will get a drop-down menu that allows you to select the type of data that is in the column. "Single Select" is data where only one option applies to each participant. "Multiple Select" is data where several options can apply to each participant. "Text" is in case you want to put answers to open ended questions into a profile field. For items you would like to use as a filter in Explore, you will want to choose either Single or Multiple Select.
- Select "ok" to add the new column.
The second option will allow you to build your custom profile filters before you upload or add your participants one at a time.
Go to the drop-down in the participant page called “Custom Profile Field”.
- Once you click "Customize Profile Fields" you are directed to the "Custom Profile" builder.
Collectors - The builder works exactly like the "Activity Builder" in that you drag and drop collectors into the building area. The difference is that with the "Custom Profile" builder you are essentially building new criteria that will be a part of a user’s profile. When picking your collectors, think of it like a form you would fill out when you upload new participants. For example, if you want to add a profile field for income then you would chose a single choice question (since there can only be one response to this question per participants). In the question text you would write "Income" and the answer options would be however you’d like to segment income ($20k-$39k, $40k - $59k, $60k - $79k, etc.).
- Save - Don’t forget to save when you are done! Now is time to add your participants!
- Should you choose to upload your participants, rather than “creating new column in the activity” activity in the first option, you would select “merge column with existing” as you already built your profiles. You can also add one person at a time and simply select their answers for them.